The Association for Nepal and Himalayan Studies (ANHS) is pleased to announce its annual Himalayan Studies Fellowships for the support of short-term research or other scholarly projects that will advance knowledge of the Himalaya-Karakoram-Hindukush regions. Projects may be from any scholarly discipline, addressing any aspect of Himalayan Studies.
The ANHS offers two $1500 fellowships, one for pre-PhD students and one for scholars who have earned their PhD. Applicants for the pre-PhD fellowship must provide documentation that they are an enrolled graduate or professional student in good standing with their institution. Applicants for the post-PhD fellowship must hold a PhD or equivalent terminal professional degree by the time of submission. The application deadline is 15 February, 2023 with an anticipated award date of 15 March, 2023.
All Himalayan Research Fellowship applicants must be active members of the ANHS or scholars affiliated with an ANHS institutional member. The fellowship is open to all individuals regardless of citizenship. The awarded fellows will be responsible for obtaining visa and research permission as necessary.
Applicants should provide the following:
- A current CV
- Research or project proposal that should include the following:
- A 250-word abstract of the research or project, suitable for use on the ANHS website
- A 1500-word statement describing the nature of the proposed research or project, including the discipline(s) to which it speaks, methodologies used, and contribution it will make to Himalayan studies
- Location(s) where the research or project will be conducted and timeline for conducting the research
- Budget with allowable expenses: economy class travel, food & lodging, visa expenses. Please also note any other grant applications submitted or received which will be used to support this work.
- Proof of student status (for pre-PhD awards) or postdoctoral / professional status (for post-PhD awards)
All application material should be sent electronically to Chair, Himalayan Research Fellowship Award: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research or projects funded by this Himalayan Studies Fellowship must be completed and a final summary report of 1000 words must be submitted by January 1, 2024. This final report should be suitable for online publication; it, together with the submission of a brief budgetary accounting, will be kept as part of ANHS’s institutional records. Any requests for no-cost extensions of a Himalayan Studies Fellowship will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Download FlyerMore about the Himalayan Studies Fellowships