CFP – Annual Kathmandu Conference on Nepal and the Himalaya 2016
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Fifth Annual Kathmandu Conference on Nepal and the Himalaya
27-29 July 2016
Proposals are invited for stand-alone papers or three-paper panels. The papers can deal with any aspect of life in Nepal and the Himalaya from a social science perspective. Papers can also be comparative so long as Nepal or the Himalaya, broadly defined, is also included. The language of the conference is English.
Time: Each paper will be allocated 40 minutes, which will include comments from the discussant, general floor discussion, and remarks from the chair.
Interested individuals are asked to submit an abstract not exceeding 500 words along with a two-page CV.
Individuals or institutions can propose three-paper panels to provide a variety of perspectives on a particular theme.
Time: Two hours per panel, which will include comments from the discussant, general floor discussion, and remarks from the chair.
Proposals for panels should consist of the topic and brief description of the panel; the three papers to be presented, including abstracts not exceeding 500 words for each paper along with a two-page CV. The proposed chair and discussant(s) should also be listed along with the submission.
The submissions will be evaluated by the Conference Organising Committee according to the following three criteria: i) research question/hypothesis along with engagement with relevant literature, ii) methodology, and iii) outline.
The length of the final paper is expected to be around 5000 words and the papers are due on 4 July 2016 for advance distribution to all registered participants.
All participants will be required to register and pay a nominal registration fee to attend the conference. Participants are expected to make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation and those requiring a letter of support to seek travel grants to attend the conference can write to the Conference Secretariat.
Submissions have to be emailed to the Conference Secretariat at email@example.com by 17 January 2016.
Participants will be notified in February 2016.
Conference Organising Committee
- Rajendra Pradhan, Social Science Baha
- Bandita Sijapati, Social Science Baha
- Sya Kedzior, Towson University
- Teri Allendorf, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- David Gellner, University of Oxford
- Krishna Adhikari, University of Oxford
- Gérard Toffin, Centre for Himalayan Studies-CNRS
- Tristan Bruslé, Centre for Himalayan Studies-CNRS
- Katsuo Nawa, University of Tokyo
- Tatsuro Fujikura, Kyoto University
The Annual Kathmandu Conference on Nepal and the Himalaya
Social Science Baha
345 Ramchandra Marg, Battisputali
Kathmandu – 9, Nepal
Dates to remember
- Submission deadline for abstracts and panels: 17 January 2016
- Notification of paper and panel acceptance: February 2016
- Final papers due: 4 July 2016
- Conference dates: 27-29 July 2016